The Ten Essentials
Delays or changes in weather can cause emergencies. Even on short day hikes, each person should take and know how to use these items:
- Navigation - Topographic map and compass.
- Food - Extra food and water. Boiling water kills giardia; treatment pills may not.
- Clothing - Extra clothing, including rain gear, wool socks, sweater, gloves, and hat.
- Light - Flashlight with spare bulb and batteries.
- Fire - Waterproof matches and fire starter, such as a candle.
- Sun Protection - Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- First Aid - Aid kit including any special medications you may need.
- Knife - A folding pocket knife.
- Signal - Audible & Visual: whistle & metal mirror.
- Emergency Shelter - Plastic tube shelter or waterproof bivouac sack.